SilverSneakers® is well-known for helping older adults stay active by building their strength and energy. Now it can help them build college tuition savings for loved ones.
Thanks to a partnership between SilverSneakers and SAGE Scholars, Florida Blue Medicare members can take part in the Tuition Rewards program. And it’s easy to do:
- You’ll get 1,000 Tuition Rewards points just for signing up. Then you’ll earn 250 points for every month that you make seven or more visits to SilverSneakers participating locations.
- Each point equals $1 in tuition discounts at more than 400 colleges and universities for students you choose (from birth to the beginning of their junior year in high school). You can help your children, stepchildren, nieces, nephews, cousins, godchildren or grandchildren.
- The rewards points will be redeemed in equal installments over four years at participating colleges and universities.
SilverSneakers is included with our Florida Blue Medicare HMO and PPO plans. Our Medicare Supplement members pay an additional monthly premium if they want to take part in SilverSneakers.
SilverSneakers can help you stay independent
Staying active isn’t just about losing weight. Here are some ways older adults and people with disabilities may benefit by incorporating physical activity into their daily routines:
- Improve their strength, which helps them stay independent
- Give them an energy boost
- Improve their leg strength and balance, so they’re less likely to fall and get hurt
- Lift their mood
- Reduce their chances of developing conditions, like heart disease and diabetes
You don’t have to hit the gym to be active. But if going to the gym or an exercise class interests you, SilverSneakers members have access to 14,000 gyms and wellness centers across the country — all at no extra cost.
Some cool things SilverSneakers has to offer
Unlimited gym access: With SilverSneakers, you don’t need a private gym membership. You already have it! And the cool thing is you can try different gyms whenever you want. Depending on what’s available where you live, you will get access to YMCAs, as well as Planet Fitness, LA Fitness and Curves locations.
Silver Sneakers classes: SilverSneakers offers fitness classes for people of all fitness levels at local fitness centers. One great thing about taking a class is you get a dose of fitness while making new friends. Some of the classes include:
- SilverSneakers Classic helps you build muscle strength and improve your ability to perform daily activities. The class can be tailored to you, based on your fitness and mobility level.
- SilverSneakers Water in Motion lets you cross-train in the pool, which makes getting a high-intensity workout that’s less stressful on your body.
- SilverSneakers yoga class helps you relax and reduce your stress level. This class is suitable for people at all fitness levels.
FLEX classes: With SilverSneakers, you can also take part in other fitness opportunities in your community. Depending on what’s available where you live, you can take Zumba at a local senior center or join a community walking group.
How to Get Started
All you need to get access to participating gyms and classes is your 16-digit SilverSneakers ID number. If you don’t have yours yet, request a Silver Sneakers ID card.
Then, find a gym or fitness center that interests you. Search through SilverSneakers’ locations by zip code. You can filter your results to find gyms that have pools and certain types of equipment. You can also find gyms that cater to women only. And you can filter your search for SilverSneakers classes and Flex classes.
Once you have your ID number and a location in mind, get going!
Note: If you are new to exercise, you should talk to your doctor first. Take it easy to start, so your body can get used to it.